Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dear Friend...

Hello,
I know you're surprised to be hearing from me. But you asked me a question yesterday that I never fully answered. I've had a lot of time to think about it. And you need to hear my answer. If you don't remember, our conversation went like this:

****

"Are you taking any kind of medication?"

I reply, "No, I've never needed to."

"Hmmm...you know, you're the only woman I know who isn't? And yet, you're happy. Why is that? What's the difference?"

****

Well, we lapsed into a conversation about the 1920s and '30s and I never got to give my opinion. So hear goes...

Why am I happy, dear friend? Oh, it's not because of intelligence, genetics, upbringing, or community. It's less scientific than that. Simply stated, I'm happy because I believe in and trust the Bible.

(Take a deep breath...I know you hate when people go there...but hear me out and trust me. You know I'm not a Bible-pusher. I'm the same person I've ever been...I've just never told you.)

I was brought up Christian just like you were. And then I fell away. College hit, I became "too educated" and no longer felt I needed the guidance or the guilt. Yes, that is... until I fell apart. My charmed life with everything handed to me began falling apart. The walls were tumbling down and when just one rock was left before the tower crashed, I dropped to my knees and said, "Lord, I have no where else to go. Please lead me to where I should be!"

The Bible gives me easy, complete guidance. I know what is expected of me, I know what is prohibited from me, and I know of the glory that stands ahead.

Oh, that doesn't sound easy? Well, let's break it down.

I know that I am to cherish my husband and care for my home. And I can expect that in return. No, that doesn't mean that I am a lowly housewife. It means that I need to use my talents to take the best care of my husband as I can. And he is instructed to do the same for me. In all aspects of living.

I know that I am to teach my children God's word. A person doesn't need a book on parenting when you teach the simple truths of God's love. Suddenly I am not the mean parent always saying, "No." I get to be the educator explaining why God says "No." And what God wants for His children (to be like Jesus).

God's word also teaches me how to handle my life in the community.

****

I don't want to become too long winded so I won't explain any more. I'm sure if you care to know more, you will ask. I'm just glad that you're taking the time to read this now. It means a lot to me.

****

I have never told you, because I've known too many people who have run away when I've voiced my opinion. So I decided to live my life as an example to others. I know I'm not perfect. Not even close! You know that too. But each time I fall...I don't run to medication. I pray. And it's like God puts His arms around me and lifts me up. My heart gets warm and the sadness goes away.

I never tell until somebody asks me my secret. So...there you have it. Can I still be your friend? :-)

No comments: